South African City Launches Free Property Ownership Transfer Program

1 min read
south africa property ownership

The City of South Africa has introduced a new program that allows its tenants to own their rental units by transferring the title deeds to them free of charge. This initiative is part of the Mayor’s Priority Programme, which aims to empower residents by providing them with home-ownership opportunities at no cost.

Eligibility and Funding

Legal City tenants in good standing who currently occupy free-standing houses, semi-detached houses, terraced houses, maisonettes, historic site, and service units, as well as delayed transfer units, are eligible for the program. The City has allocated almost R38 million to the initiative, which will be used to fund the attorney transfer fees and fix them at R2,500 per property, irrespective of the property purchase price. The City will also fund insurance costs for saleable rental units from the date of sale until the registration of the property.

Benefits of the Program

This program is part of the City’s commitment to exploring all avenues that will position human settlement programs as catalysts for meaningful economic growth in communities. Owning the title to one’s property is an important way to unlock opportunity, and it also becomes an asset for generations to come. This renewed focus on enabling opportunity for empowerment is expected to achieve approximately 22,000 no cost transfers over the next three years.

How to Apply

Residents who are interested in the program are encouraged to visit their local housing office or contact the Human Settlements Directorate’s Call Centre at 021 444 0333 or via the WhatsApp line at 063 299 9927.


The City of South Africa’s free property ownership transfer program is a significant step forward in providing its residents with the tools and opportunities they need to thrive. Legal tenants can become homeowners at no cost, providing them with greater freedom and stability in their lives. It is a commendable initiative that aims to empower people and give them ownership of their future. The positive impact that this program will have on the community is eagerly awaited.

Environmentalist and Outdoor Enthusiast. Amanda is a nature-loving, energetic, and enthusiastic environmentalist who has dedicated her life to exploring and protecting Cape Town's stunning natural landscapes. She is an experienced hiker, wildlife enthusiast, and advocate for sustainable tourism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

The Jive Cape Town Funny Festival: A Unique Blend of Humour and Entertainment

Next Story

Reporting sewer overflows in Cape Town

Latest from Blog

Overcoming Electricity Challenges during Cold Fronts and Load-Shedding

As a cold front sweeps through the region, there has been a surge in electricityrelated service requests. The residents are advised to prepare for the cold, damp, and blustery conditions that are expected to persist over the weekend. The inclement weather can further worsen power service issues, leading to a rise in demand for assistance.

Western Cape’s Tourism Industry: Beyond Recovery and Towards Growth

Cape Town International Airport (CTIA) achieved a significant milestone in April 2023 as the airport’s share of overseas tourists reached full recovery compared to its prepandemic levels in April 2019. During the month, CTIA recorded a total of 67,747 tourist arrivals via air, with 87% coming from overseas markets and the remaining 13% from the African continent, according to the monthly tourism report from Wesgro, the Western Cape Government’s trade, investment, and tourism promotion agency.

Western Cape Embraces Renewable Energy Tax Incentives

The Western Cape province in South Africa is committed to a sustainable future, and it is making significant strides towards achieving this goal. One of the ways the province is supporting the use of renewable energy sources is through tax incentives, as highlighted by the Director of Personal Income Tax at the National Treasury, Marle Van Niekerk, during Premier Alan Winde’s 13th Energy Digicon.

Cape Town Mayor Hill-Lewis Receives Clean Audit Award for 2021-22

On June 2nd, Cape Town Mayor Geordin HillLewis was honored during a ceremony held in Saldanha for receiving the city’s clean audit award for the 202122 financial year from the Auditor General (AG). This award recognizes the city’s unwavering commitment to transparency, integrity, and excellence in governance. It also demonstrates Cape Town’s focus on improving the lives of its citizens by ensuring public funds are used efficiently and effectively.

Cape Town’s Citizens Name New Anti-Litter Mascot

Mayor Geordin HillLewis of Cape Town has recently ignited enthusiasm among the city’s residents by involving them in the naming of the new antilitter mascot. After receiving hundreds of creative suggestions, a shortlist of five names was prepared by the city officials.